Monday, February 18, 2008

Where I'm From...

I am from jelly shoes, from Capri Sun and Cracker Barrel cheese.
I am from the end of the dirt road where the house on the water is the place I call home.
I am from the Sego palm beautiful as can be, from the sand in your toes that comes from the sea.
I am from family reunions and dancing all night, from an Underwood and a Bradley that made me just right.
I am from a circus of clowns, each unique and fun to be around.
From I love you around the world and you’re my favorite pumpkin pie
I am from he is my father and my friend from church on Sundays where I learned about him.
I am from the Southern Heartland and Belizan roots, from casserole dishes and fried plantains.
From momma and the vacuum that was thrown at pop-pop’s head, and the air guitar that is played by my dad.
I am from the piles of picture stacked inside my closet, the albums beneath grandma’s t.v. that tell the story of me and from the many blessings that life keeps giving to me.

1 comment:

Dr. Frye said...

Beautifully written! You write with lovely imagery and a touch of humor! I am interested in learning more about your Belizan roots if you will share : )