Sunday, March 16, 2008

Lon Po Po

Title: Lon Po Po
Author and Illutrator: Ed Young
Publisher and date of publication: Penguin Putnam Books for YOung Readers in 1996
Genre: Folklore, Picture Book (multicultural)
Grade: K-5

Lon Po Po is the story of three sisters Shang, Tao and Paotze who were left home alone while their mother went to go visit their grandmother. Nearby lived an old wolf who disguised itself as an old woman to try to get in the house. The wolf knocked on the door and told the children that it was Po Po their grandmother. The oldest, Shang was a little weary but never the less they were excited and let the wolf in. Once inside the wolf blew out the candle and would not let them relight it for they would see it was not Po Po. They climbed into bed and Shang felt it's tail and claws. The Wolf quickly explained that is was something that she had brought for the children. Shang then lit the light and the wolf quickly blew it out but she had seen the wolf's hairy face. Shang then asked if Po Po wanted any gingko nuts. She told the wolf that they were soft, tender and with one taste you would live forever. She told the wolf that her and her sisters would pick some for her. When they got to the top of the tree Shang told her sisters that is was a wolf. They then told the wolf that he would have to pick the nuts himself. So they made him get in the basket and throw the rope around the tree in order to pull him up. However each time they tried they would let go and the wolf would fall down to the ground. On the third try the wolf fell and died. The sisters quickly ran back into the house, locked the door and feel asleep. When their mother returned they told her the story of the Po Po who had come.

I really enjoyed this version of Little Red Riding Hood. I actually think that I might have liked it better. The Little Red Riding Hood that we are all familiar with seems so much more fairytale like with that whimsical flair that we all love. In this story is doesn't seem so much like a fairytale but an actually story with suspense and all that good stuff. I thought it was entertaining and I loved how they tricked the wolf in the end with basket. I think the sisters, the ginkgo nuts and the death of the wolf just brought this story to life and gave it so much character. I read it three or four times because I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed reading it. The pictures in the book are amazing. The illustrations are done in what is called Panel Pictures. Meaning that the illustrator creates a picture, then divides it into three panels of different widths. In this book there is one wide and two narrow. This Paneling often sets a mood that the illustrator is trying to portray. I thought this was wonderful. I found that it made the most simplistic picture more intriguing and I was really anxious to put together the image that the illustrator wanted me to see. Overall I really enjoyed reading this book from start to finish.

I think that is book could be used in a variety of ways. I know that one of the first things I would do is to have my student’s create their own Panel Pictures that tell a story. It could be any story that they like, made up or happened in their life. I also think that in the classroom you could have your students come up with their own Red Riding Hood Tale. Or, have them read many of they different versions and have them compare and contrast them through a variety of different ways. I think that with stories like this we as teachers can get really creative in how we explore the world of folklore.

No comments: