Monday, March 31, 2008

I Poem for 2 Voices

I enojyed writing the I Poem for 2 voices however, I found it difficult. When we wrote the I Poems about ourselves and out lives it was alot easier find the right words to describe how I grew up. Whereas with this I had to really dig deep into these two girls minds. I had to be able to read past the words of the book and pull out feeling and emotions that were not written in plain sight. I can't imagine being in the situation of either Yeh-Shen our Tattercoats so to express these deep feelings that were to be describe was a littledifficut for me. I almost had to write it as if I were to put myself in their shoes, how would I feel and then hope that my feelings came close to what they were feeling. However I think it is a great assignment expecially for the classroom because all of the things I just described is exactly what I would want my students to do with their characters. I also feel that I would have to assign this tye of assignment more than once because I think that the more you do it and get used to the format the better the poems will come out. Also it helps you to look at all your characters in a different way in any story that you read not just the one your are assigned.

The two Cinderella book I read were Tattercoats a story from England and Yeh-Shen a story from China.
In Tattercoats there was not much about the culture is was more like a Disney Cinderella story with all your basic princess, castle things that you see in any movie.

However in Yeh-Shen a lot more of the cultre was revealed. They use of Chinesee fish, spirits and ancestors were present throughout the entire story. Another aspect that I liked was the concentration of the tiny feet and the importance and beauty that the Chinese culture finds in extremly tiny feet.

All in all I ejoyed doing this assignment and would love to explore further stories of Cinderella.

2 comments:

B. Frye said...

Excellent point Danielle; although it was "difficult" it is the kind of assignment we want our students to do. Can you explain why you would want students to try to feel what the characters are feeling and to put themselves in others' shoes? Would you post a comment back to me? Thanks! :)

Danielle Underwood said...

It is important for students to feel the emotions of others for many reasons. One so they realize that they are not alone in feeling what they feel. To often enough the first thought is we are all alone and nobody understands but this can help children to see that people do understand and can help. Also, I think walking in others shoes helps us to open up our eyes to diversity and teaches us to not pass judgement on others because of how they act or things they might be experiencing in their life. They can learn that what may not be a big deal to them can sometimes be life changing to others and vice verse.